About Our Gluten Reduced Beers:
- We use the same brewing process as we would for any other
beer, However, during fermentation our beers become gluten reduced.
- When the yeast is added to begin fermentation, we also add
an enzyme called Clarity Ferm. Basically, this enzyme chops
the gluten proteins present in the beer without affecting the
aroma or taste of the beer.
- Based on laboratory testing, most of our beers are under 10
ppm. Some are a bit higher, but still under the 20 ppm
required by the FDA to be “gluten reduced.”
- The gluten protein present in beer is very proline-rich. Because the
Clarity Ferm enzyme is a proline-specific protease, it attacks these
- We cannot call our beers gluten free. We use barley, oats, wheat, and
sometimes rye in our recipes. The FDA forbids the use of these (and
many other ingredients) in anything labeled as gluten free.
 Clarity Ferm is a White Labs product.
 R5 Competitive ELISA test and ELISA RIDASCREEN® Gliadin competitive